Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Night blog

Throughout  the book Wiesel changes a lot. For the most part his faith was questioned until there was no more faith left inside of him. In the beginning of his journey he was just an average teenage boy in Sighet. In the text Wiesel claims to be really involved and interested in his religion. Wiesel  states “One day I asked my father to find me a master who could guide me in my studies of Kabbalah. "You are too young for that. Maimonides tells us that one must be thirty before venturing into the world of mysticism, a world fraught with peril. First you must study the basic subjects, those you are able to comprehend." (4) This quote can reassure you on what I said earlier how Wiesel is devoted to his religion and is concerned on it. But now he questions his existence and how he would do fine without him like these words that Wiesel states, “The student of the Talmud, the child that I was, had been consumed in the flames.” (The spiritual person that Elie once was is gone.) (34)



In the concentration camp Wiesel had only three values left for him, his father (which in the readings there should be some questioning to him and his actions), and his shoes and golden tooth. The doctor threatens him with the sake of taking his gold tooth. But since it's worth value, Wiesel would not be so foolish to do so. The shoes that he had kept him from infections and damage to his feet. This was the only thing that remembered him of his childhood. But now with those gone he loses faith and hope more times than ever.




In time Wiesel has changed he never really Wanted to get in trouble with the nazis cause if he wanted to survive that would not be good for him. In the text it states “My father suddenly had a colic attack. He got up and asked politely, in German,"Excuse m e ... Could you tell me where the toilets are located?"
The Gypsy stared at him for a long time, from head to toe. As if he wished to ascertain that the person addressing him was actually a creature of flesh and bone, a human being with a body and a belly. Then, as if waking from a deep sleep, he slapped my father with such force that he fell down and then crawled back to his place on all fours”. --- “I stood petrified. What had happened to me? My father had just been struck, in front of me, and I had not even blinked. I had watched and kept silent. Only yesterday, I would have dug my nails into this criminal's flesh. Had I changed that much? So fast?” This shows how he changed his personality all he cared was about surviving is key. Even he did not know why he did this…. not at all. (36-37)


Wiesel, Elie. Night. New York: Bansom Edition, 1960. Print.





No comments:

Post a Comment